Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pistachio Cake: 8 Guests or 2 Pigs!

I had forgotten about this easy and delicious dessert recipe until I made it during the holidays. The taste of it brought back memories of eating it as a child.  I'm pretty sure I gorged myself on this one until I felt sick.  You only have to bake the crust.  The rest involves layering the ingredients over a cooled crust.


Recipe:
1 stk Betty Crocker pie crust mix*
1 stk margarine (melted)
1 c. flour
1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts
mix and spread on bottom of 9x13 pan. bake at 350 for 20 min.
1 8oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 c. confectionary sugar
1 c. cool whip
Beat together and spread over cooled crust.
Beat 2 boxes instant pistachio flavored pudding mix with 3 c. milk. spread on top of cheese filling. top with remaining cool whip. garnish with walnuts or pistachios.

*One point of difficulty (perhaps you can help?) is the very first line: "1 stk (stick?) Betty Crocker Pie Crust Mix. It appears to say "stick".  Since I had no idea what this meant I bought the Betty Crocker pie crust mix and used half the bag.  The problem is the volume of crust for the pistachio cake was not enough to accomodate a 9 x13 pan.  I used an 8x8 pan, the crust tasted fine as did the resulting pistachio cake.  Granted, the layers were a bit thicker than they should be, but it still tasted excellent.  I would suggest using a full bag of the pie crust mix and see if it then fits into a 9x13 pan.

My strange post title is in reference to my grandmother's estimate (bottom right corner of recipe) of the number of people this dessert will feed - 8 guests or 2 pigs.  I can hear her laughing now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment